What's happening at Viking
LOPPET 2015: Ideal conditions and moderate temperatures resulted in a large turnout (some 430 registrations) and an excellent event February 22. A big thank you to organizers from Viking and Morin-Heights - and to the scores of volunteers who made it all happen! Go here for results. (Jan. 23).
• Go here for Pierre’s track-setting report. We received about 3 cm of very light snow this week. Conditions are excellent, skating should be great on the race trails. Updated February 27.
• Go here for conditions in the Laurentians (site is run by Guy Thibaudeau and updated frequently - check info on Morin-Heights for snowfall details, etc). Also check out Guy’s blog (in French only).
• Go here for the RSFL site - consult the Viking section, which a Viking member updates regularly.
• Go here for Morin-Heights trails.
• Go here for the new Viking forum. Instructions to post or reply. Read without logging in. (updated Feb. 3)
SUNDAY TOUR: February 28 tour to be led by Jean-Pierre Campeau. Meet at the clubhouse at 10 a.m. Let Jean-Pierre know if you’ll be coming.
VIKING CHECKPOINT THE BEST… as voted by skiers in the Canadian Ski Marathon February 7 and 8. An award presented at the volunteer banquet in Ottawa February 17 honours the Checkpoint 4A team of Doug Bowes-Lyon, Tim Baker, Mark Brenchley, Brenda Hunter, Frans and Marta Blom, Jean-Pierre Campeau. Kristin Wærstad, John Maase and Wilda Madden. Many thanks to Doug and his team - and congratulations on a great job! (Feb. 17)
TOQUES FOR SALE: Lycra toques, $25. Sizes XXS to XXL. Also some some toques for ladies (with holes in the back for pony tails). Available at the club. (Jan. 22)
SATURDAY TOURS: Go here for a summary of tours. And here for details.
PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE: The season begins. See Richard L'Heureux's latest message here. (Jan. 10)
SUNDAY TOURS - LEADERS NEEDED: Tours will leave from the clubhouse and will be on Viking trails. For information, email@example.com. (Dec. 16)
CHALLENGE GRAD QUALIFIES FOR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS! Olivia Bouffard-Nesbitt will represent Canada at the Under 23 World Championships in Kazakhstan in February. Go here for more about Olivia – and some photos. (Jan. 20)
SOCIAL SUPPER: Photos. Thanks to Erik Vikander. (Feb. 3)
MORIN-HEIGHTS PARKING: This year Vikings will have free parking in the Morin-Heights lots: on chemin du lac Echo, at the foot of Mont Bellevue, at Montfort, and the one off rue des Bouleaux that gives access to MH backcountry trails.To take advantage of this, you will have to have your Viking membership card – preferably plasticized – clearly visible on your outfit or pack. (Nov. 18)
KARL BAADSVIK FUND: What is it? How can it help Viking? Read about it here. (Dec. 13)
FALL NEWSLETTER: go here.
• Instructions to post or reply. Read without logging in. (updated Feb. 3)
• General Arrange car-pooling, meet-ups, etc.
• Important Messages Last-minute changes or cancellations.
• Trail Conditions: Share your experiences.
• Equipment Exchange/Sale